Idea Fab Labs is happy to announce its Youth Inspiration Fun Labs Maker STEM Program for ages 12 through 16 years old.
“The YIFL Maker STEM Program uses STEM-centered curriculum to support hands on, project-based activities while focusing heavily on logic-based exploration and life-science educational skills and activities. “ says Youth Program Director Kristy Lively.
Each 4-week cycle of the after school program, starting February 2018, will feature a different subject. Subjects for the 2018 Spring session include:
- Micro Drones 101
- 3D Printing Scanning & Design
- Arduino: Coding in Robotics
- Creative Computing: Raspberry Pi and Scratch.
Youth Program Director: Kristy Lively
Idea Fab Labs Director Erin Banwell has partnered with IFL member Kristy Lively to implement the new Y+IFL After School Program. Kristy has taken active leadership roles in after school programs, youth advocacy and youth development for over 17 years, and has been involved with IFL field trips for the last year.
See her Summary of Qualifications letter here.
In addition to her work with students, schools and educators, she is the proud founder of EMPOWER ME ART, a fiscally sponsored non-profit organization dedicated to the entrepreneurial spirits of girls and survivors of sex-trafficking. Kristy strongly believes, “empowered women give birth to empowered communities.” She recently had the opportunity to share her vision on the TED stage this year in New York and is the proud recipient of the 2016 UBER Women’s History Month Award for her work in the community.
As a woman, artist and entrepreneur Kristy is devoted to empowering the community of children around her. She is extremely honored to work with Erin and the IFL team in her new role as Youth Program Director.
- 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM Wednesday and Thursdays.
- 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm: Homework Hour. Selected staff will be available during the first hour for homework assistance and/or tutoring.
- 4:30 pm to 4:40 pm: A healthy snack from Baccio Catering will be provided to each student. Baccio has developed a custom snack box for our program.
- 4:40 pm to 6:30 pm: Explore the weeks subject matter.
- At the end of each 4 week course, each student will take home a completed project. In some case they will take home more than one project.
- Specialist and guest speakers will give talks and facilitate workshops during each of the 4-week courses.
- Meals, tutoring, supplies and all materials for each project are provided for and are included in the cost.
- All staff involved in the Y+IFL After School Program have passed background checks and completed a CPR and First Aid training.
- The after school program has it’s own entrance and restroom; youth will have no contact with general public or IFL members during the program.
SESSION ONE: Micro Drones 101: Build and fly your own indoor micro quadcopter
February 1st through February 28th 2018
Intro to quadcopters and flying techniques.
Learn to solder while modifying your quadcopter.
Learn to fly like a pro.
Learn maintenance and repair.
Indoor drone racing with your friends.
Students take home their own micro drone.
SESSION TWO: 3D Printing, 3D Design and 3D Scanning
March 7th through March 29th 2018
Learn to download and 3D print objects from the internet.
Learn to design your own 3D models from scratch.
3D scan and 3D print your own head.
Design and print a final project.
Students create and take home a 3D Print each week.
SESSION THREE: Arduino: Coding in Robotics
April 4th through April 25th 2018
Learn the basics of programing your own arduino.
Build an open source, 3D printed arduino robot that can walk, dance, avoid obstacles, and make noise.
Modify and customize with specific behaviors, body parts and sounds.
Students take home their own custom programmable robot.
SESSION FOUR: Creative Computing: Raspberry Pi and Scratch
May 3rd through May 31st 2018
Use Raspberry Pi and Scratch to code interactive stories, animations, and games.
Learn to think creatively, reason systematically, and collaboratively.
Learn and explore Scratch
Learn the fundamentals of
programming and coding.